Sunday, July 21, 2019

Ganbare! Memeko-chan ch56-57

DL
We're heading towards the end... One thing I kind of regret now is translating "okama" (the word everyone calls Ryou) as "homo," because Ryou seems more trans than gay. At the time I thought to myself "Japan doesn't understand LGBT stuff as well as other places so Ryou is likely just a mish-mash of gay stereotypes and any 'trans-ness' doesn't have that much thought put into it," but I don't know. Whenever Ryou's gender is brought up, everybody says "he" or "man," so maybe it's better to keep it questionable than to explicitly confirm that the whole cast actively misgenders Ryou.
I feel dumb for writing this (especially since I'm not even invested in LGBT issues), but I've been thinking about it for a while, so it's good to let it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment